Office of the Bishop
Bishop’s Note 8 September 2022
Update Highlights: Calendar updates, Community of Practice Invitation, Congregations in Transition, Commentary and few other items along the way…
NOTE: I continue to add individuals to the email list as you share the Notes. Please continue sharing the Notes and sending me individuals to add to the email list as well.
The following is a list of upcoming events I will be attending in person. If I am in your area and you would like to go to lunch, coffee, have a chat, etc. let me know.
· Sunday Supply Dates: October 23*; December 11, 25*. *Mercer/Crawford only. February 19, 26 2023; March 12, 19 2023.
· On Oct. 24 the theme for the 2024 ELCA Youth Gathering, the Multicultural Youth Leadership Event and the tAble will be announced! The National Youth Gathering will be held in New Orleans from July 13-16. Mark your calendars now.
· It is not too late for Rostered Leaders in our Synod to begin planning to attend the 2023 Rostered Leaders Gathering July 17-20 in Phoenix, AZ. More information can be found at: https://elca.org/rmg. I attended the first Gathering and found the event informative and a wise use of continuing education funds I would encourage our congregational leaders to support your pastors and deacons to attend this event.
· Fall Convocation. The dates for Convocation are 24-26 October.
The NWPA Convocation registration is open. We will gather at the Sheraton Bayfront, Erie for this year’s event. When registration opens you will need to register with our synod (website) and with the hotel if you are staying at the Sheraton. The cost of the hotel is $149+tax per night. Our synod will reimburse room cost of $50 per night for Monday and Tuesday per room. You will need to submit a request for reimbursement in order to receive the funds. Single and double rooms are available. You will also be responsible for meals.
We will be using The Post Quarantine Church by Thom S. Rainer as a focus for the educational time together. Purchasing the book is not necessary for the event but it might be helpful.
Attendees are invited to check in on Sunday afternoon and relax Sunday evening into Monday morning. Onsite registration will open on Monday and the Convocation will begin after lunch. Monday night we will gather at Brewerie at Union Station for a hymn sing (beer will be involved for those who wish to partake.) Tuesday will continue our convocation learning time along with opportunities to explore the Erie area. We will end by noon on Wednesday. There will be time to worship and pray together along with other updates from around our synod and churchwide.
· Our 2023 NWPA Assembly will be (8) 9-10 (11) June 2023 at Thiel College. I will form a Synod Assembly Planning Team in the next few weeks. I will ask each Conference to nominate one lay person to be on this Planning Team. This core group along with the synod staff will begin the initial planning process for the next three Assemblies 2023,2024, 2025. As the core team progresses other individuals within our synod will be asked to join specific teams or committees centering around our upcoming 2023 Assembly and beyond.
· The following congregations are in transition:
Over the next several weeks I will be moving between the Eastern and Central time zones for my Army Reserve Annual training time, participate in the installation of Rev. Craig Miller as the fourth bishop of Upper Susquehanna Synod, the fall ULS Board Meeting and the fall Conference of Bishops Meeting. Recently Christopher and I were discussing our digital presence online, he googled my name, and found some old references to me. He found one in particular, a video, of me in uniform (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLjmaIPbbgw), which we talked about. I’ll be wearing several uniforms over the weeks I am away from my family and our synod, but I mindful the uniform I always wear is through baptism I am clothed in Christ. Dear Synod as I enter my fourth year as bishop I give thanks to wear the uniform which represents us all and whichever other uniform I wear I am mindful that I am …
Called to Serve,
Rev. Michael L. Lozano, Bishop
Northwestern Pennsylvania Synod
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
22598 Titusville Road
PO Box 43
Pleasantville, PA 16341
Leave a Reply.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.