Office of the Bishop
Bishop’s Note 18 August 2022
Update Highlights: Calendar, ALWL, CWA, Synod Happenings, Commentary
The following is a list of upcoming events I will be attending in person. If I am in your area and you would like to go to lunch, coffee, have a chat, etc. let me know.
· 18-19 August Joint Base Lewis McCord Building Dedication
· 20 August One Year Anniversary Stem Cell Transplant
· 21 August Luther Memorial
· 24 August @ Synod Office
· 27 August Bp. Collin’s Retirement Pizza Party, Camp Mt. Luther
· 28 August St. John, Girard
· 31 August @ Synod Office
· 7 September @ Synod Office
· 10-24 September Annual Training, Darien, IL
· 17 September Upper Susquehanna Synod Bishop Installation, Zion, Sunbury
· 26-27 September ULS Board Meeting Gettysburg, PA
· 28 September – 1 October Conference of Bishop’s Meeting, Chicago, IL
· 5 October @ Synod Office
· 9 October Grace, Brookville/ Trinity, Reynoldsville
· 12 October @ Synod Office
· 14-15 October Synod Council Retreat
· 15 October ALWL Training @ Grace, Franklin
· 19 October @ Synod Office
· 23-26 October Rostered Leaders/ALWL Retreat
· 30 October St. John, Oniontown
· 2 November @ Synod Office
· 9 November @ Synod Office
· 14-16 November FCTE (First Call Theological Event) Capitol Retreat Center
· 19 November Vocations Committee Meeting
· 20 November Faith, Erie
· 23 November @ Synod Office
· 27 November St. Paul, Warren
· 29 November @ Synod Office
· 30 November LAMPa, Harrisburg
· Sunday Supply Dates: October 23*; December 11, 25*. *Mercer/Crawford only. January 15, 29 2023; February 19, 26 2023; March 12, 19, 26 2023.
· ALWLs: Please mark your calendars for Saturday October 15th. ALWLs will gather at St. John's Episcopal/Grace Lutheran Church in Franklin. The day will begin at 10:00am and include a tour of the church’s Tiffany windows, Fr. Shawn Clerkin will offer a meditation /discussion, lunch and an open discussion among ALWLs on needs, wants, concerns and future gatherings. The day will conclude by 2:30pm.
· Attached to this email is an application for NWPA ALWLs. If you are interested in serving as an ALWL please fill out the form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you know of someone who would serve well as an Authorized Lay Worship Leader please pass the form along to them.
· ALWL Training: The next iteration of ALWL training begins in September with Rev. Jake Jacobson leading in the study of the Old and New Testaments. This is a joint training between Northwestern Pennsylvania Synod, Alleghany Synod and Upper Susquehanna Synod.
Introduction to Scripture Old Testament/New Testament Rev. Jake Jacobson
Course Design: The course will include assigned readings, prerecorded lectures, an introductory Zoom meeting and four 2 hour Zoom/In Person gatherings.
Text: Holy Talk: An Introduction to Scripture for the Occasionally Biblically Embarrassed, Jake Jacobson (Lulu.com or Amazon)
Cost: $50.00/person payable to NWPA Synod plus textbook
September 10 (10:00-Noon): Introduction of Course (Zoom)
September 24 (10:00-Noon): Pentateuch Zoom
October 8 (10:00-Noon): Prophets/Writings Zoom/In Person @ Allegheny Synod
October 22 (10:00-Noon): Gospels Zoom/In Person @ Upper Susquehanna Synod
November 5 (10:00-Noon): Paul/NT Writings Zoom/In Person @ NWPA Synod Office
· Fall Convocation. The dates for Convocation are 24-26 October. The location will be the Sheraton Bayfront on the lake. The concept for this year’s Convocation is to gather for time to relax and share and learn. Rostered and ALWL Leaders will be able to check in to the hotel on Sunday afternoon for a relaxing evening in Erie, followed by a program starting Monday afternoon through Wednesday morning. The topic will be “The Post Quarantine Church” based off the book by the same title. We will use our time together to learn from one another, develop ideas, and plans we might implement in our congregations and communities. There will be time built into the schedule for relaxing / exploring Lake Erie and Erie, PA, worship and conversation. And maybe another surprise or two.
· Our 2023 NWPA Assembly will be (8) 9-10 (11) June 2023 at Thiel College. I will form a Synod Assembly Planning Team in the next few weeks. I will ask each Conference to nominate one lay person to be on this Planning Team. This core group along with the synod staff will begin the initial planning process for the next three Assemblies 2023,2024, 2025. As the core team progresses other individuals within our synod will be asked to join specific teams or committees centering around our upcoming 2023 Assembly and beyond.
· The following congregations are in transition:
Called to Serve,
Leave a Reply.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.